Tuesday 5 November 2013

Eurasian food



My husband is a very unusual ang mo (local term for Caucasians) - he loves to try new foods. So yesterday he said, let's go to the Eurasian restaurant near our place. (We've just moved to the East side of Singapore a few months ago). I very very shamefully said, "I've never had Eurasian food."

I've lived in Singapore almost all my life and went to school at Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus Secondary with many Eurasian girls, and yet it's one cuisine I just never thought to try.

For my non-Singaporean readers, Eurasian is one of the four official races in Singapore - the others are Chinese, Malay and Indian - and are descended from Europeans who intermarried with local Asians.

So we went to Quentin's at the Eurasian Association with our Serbian housemate and my father-in-law, both are very picky eaters. I was anticipating that they might be ordering McDonald's when we got home.

We ordered the Debal Rabu De Baca (Oxtail devil curry) and Porku Semur (Pork Smore) and the portions are huge. I wish we'd brought more people along so we could try more dishes.

The oxtail devil curry is really rich and a little spicy, and the other is a stew with spices and blended onions. The menu says that the oxtail devil curry is "A Devilishly addictive dish". It's not wrong! Our picky eater housemate kept eating and eating, that's why when I took the picture above almost all the oxtails were gone. Sorry about that! I should have taken a picture before everyone charged at it.

I know a lot of Singaporeans like me who have not tried Eurasian food. Please do it! There are not many restaurants out there, but if you're living in the East go to Quentin's. Out of this world!

Quentin's The Eurasian Restaurant
139 Ceylon Road​​
Eurasian Community House, Level 1
Singapore 429744
www.quentins.com.sg

Anyway, I think I will do a video recipe soon for an Eurasian dish. I'm not sure which yet! In the meantime, check out my YouTube Channel, and see below for more Singaporean recipes.

The Real Singapore Noodles - Char Bee Hoon
Singapore Mutton Soup - Soup Kambing
Pigs Organ Soup 
Singapore Prawn Noodles Soup
Hainanese Chicken Rice
Fishball Minced Pork Noodles
Crockpot Singapore Chicken Curry
Crockpot Chinese Hamburger - Kong Bak Pau
Kung Po Frog Legs
Chinese Roast Pork Belly







No comments:

Post a Comment